Monday 6 January 2014

It's over... Christmas break is over. I had 8 things on my To-Do list and was able to check off 4 of them. Not bad, but not great either. :p

One of the things on my list was, "Clean out my closet." Although I did d this, the project turned into "Clean under the bed" and "Clean my area of the storage room". The project continued into this evening when I decided to try and get rid of a few more things.

I confess I am a bit of a hoarder. I am excessively sentimental and I also have a number of collections: keychain collections, a napkin collection, even a wrapping paper collection, to name a few.



I wasn't kidding about the wrapping paper. Seriously, if you've sent me a gift at any time over the past 7 years, a swatch of the wrapping paper is probably in my collection. Or at least it was, before I actually got rid of some of it... :P 

Things become even more special to me if they have influenced my writing in any shape or form. My original stories - tales about a fantasy world called Cunburra - were inspired by games I used to play with my dolls and my homemade dollhouse. Needless to say, I still have about 50% of the dollhouse, as well as every doll that made his or her way into any of the stories.

Though I wasn't able to make any extremely radical changes to my closet and amount of stuff, I did manage to part with a few things with hopes of cleaning out more in the future. (I listened / sang along to my fave Broadway musicals as I cleaned... but I shoulda been listening to Frozen... you know the song Let It Go? Let the stuff go! mwahaha... okay, you can tell I'm tired.)

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I must ask, do you have issues with keeping / hoarding too much stuff? Although I am grateful that God has blessed my family and many people in this country with wealth, I think it is also something we need to be careful about. The Bible has a LOT to say  about money/possessions - we'd better listen! This year in school Mom and I read Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn - it's a great read, very convicting. I definitely recommend it. Because of reading it, I felt led to give more to others (giving to Christian causes is something that will last into eternity! Whereas spending money on snacks, knick-nacks, and gadgets will last minutes or hours or maybe even a few years, but definitely won't last into eternity!), as well as attempting not to accumulate more items. (I'm not sure if I've succeeded in the last area particularly). Anyway, what are your thoughts on the subject?

On another note, I had my first coffee of 2014 today! (Yeah, you can tell I'm not really a coffee addict if I was able to go nearly a week without any. I actually haven't had coffee for a couple months. Soda, however, is another story...). Anyway, here's the coffee.


Happy New Year, by the way! :) Any fun plans for January?

"Klarabelle"

2 comments:

  1. I have been making a list of the things I want to do in my room after I graduate in May: I'm calling it The Purge. Haha. I have these marvelous ideas about going through all my things before I leave for college. I need to re organize my makeup, go through my closet and dresser. I was hoping I might make a few bucks, but I'll probably end up giving it away. The hardest part is convincing my mom to let me get rid of it. lol -Brydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brydon! Thanks so much for your comment (and apologies for my sadly late reply)! I should probably do a purge too... ;) I'm still attempting to clean my room, but it's going slowly.

      Delete

Comments make my day! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I often reply, so please check back!