Tuesday 18 August 2015

BFF = BF

The other day I was scrolling through old files on my computer and I came across a forgotten document titled, "Best Friends Are Like Boyfriends." My boyfriend was in the room, so I started feeling really embarrassed...but also really curious. So after he left, I opened the document. It said...
Best friends...
Are like boyfriends. 
You want to talk to them all the time
You see them everyday, and you still don't see them enough 
You can't wait to see them
You e-mail them all the time
You think about them constantly
Something funny happens and you think, "I can't wait to tell them that!"
You have a bad day, and you tell them about it before you tell anyone else
If you get into a fight, you can't stop thinking about it until you make up
And if you ever lose one...
It breaks your heart.
I wrote this in February of 2010 - nearly six years ago - as a very angsty and sensitive preteen. But now, as a more mature, but still emotional, young adult, I can say...for the most part it's true.
It isn't always happiness and sunshine, because my boyfriend and I are two sinful people with our problems and sometimes selfish desires. We have never been in a relationship with anyone else before, so we are still learning a lot, like how to communicate and be open with each other. We are still discovering how to love each other while at the same time loving God even more. We are learning how to put the other person first. 

But I do love talking to him. I love listening to his thoughts and dreams. We spend hours together, but I still wouldn't mind more. Knowing that I get to see him makes the crummiest day worthwhile. Though we don't e-mail (it isn't 2010 anymore), we text frequently. He pops into my mind whether he is invited or not, because when someone is part of your life, they never really leave your thoughts. Whenever something amusing happens at work, I'll plan the most dramatic and funny way to tell him about it later. And when I'm upset, he's the first person I want to talk to. Though we haven't had a true fight, the small disagreements we've shared have been resolved quickly. And I pray that I will never have to lose him because he is truly my best friend, and I don't know what I'd do without him.

Yes, best friends are like boyfriends. Though the junior high student typing onto a computer document knew only an ideal, romanticized version of love, she was right in the end. Best friends are like boyfriends, because if you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, that someone will become your best friend. Not only that, but they will become your confidant, advisor, companion, love, comforter, sidekick, partner in crime, your leader or helpmeet...the person who knows more about you than anyone else on the planet. The person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Your best friend. 

// We'll always make it through / As long as you've got me and I've go you / We will take the world in our stride / Anything can be possible by your side //  The Way You Are, David Choi

 photo kara.signature_zpsludd1qzl.png

1 comment:

Comments make my day! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I often reply, so please check back!